Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Having too much fun in Ecuador

My morning routine is fairly invariable. I get up way too early, let the dog out, fix my bowl of cereal, get a cup of coffee, let the dog in and sit down to eat my cereal, drink my coffee and read the latest updates from the SNU gang in Ecuador. Four SNU students and one SNU professor are at the Nazarene International Language Institute (NILI) in Quito, Ecuador this semester. I've already commented a little about Dr. Culbertson's notes and the photos that Rachel, Lindsey, Abby and Mat are posting on Facebook. If you haven't checked them out yet, you really need to do so.

Dr. Culbertson's notes are basically a blog that he is keeping on Facebook. His observations and comments are always interesting. His cross-cultural background adds a depth to his posts that would be hard to get from anyone else. While Dr. Culbertson's posts make me think, the photos from and of the students make me laugh. They look like they are having way too much fun for the experience to be educational. They just got back from a trip to the Amazon jungle. You should see the look on Lindsey's face as a monkey climbs over her head or Rachel as she cuddles a monkey as if it were a baby. I even saw a picture of Dr. Culbertson doing his Tarzan imitation on some type of hanging contraption. Actually, I'm very happy that they're having fun because I know that they are also working hard and learning. I would be worried if all that they were doing was working hard. You have to balance the hard work with the enjoyment of new and strange sights, sounds, smells and adventures. It looks like they are doing a good balancing act. If you want to start your day off with a smile, check out SNU's NILI gang on Facebook.

No comments:

Post a Comment